Keys to accountability:
1. Humility. Be humble in knowing that you may be something but you are not everything. There is always room for growth and growth comes acknowledging that lessons must be learned and learned lessons often comes from failed attempts.
2. Acknowledgement. Acknowledge that some people simply know more than you. Embrace that, accept that, and seek their wisdom and experience.
3. Acceptance. You put yourself in it, now accept it. Accept the fact that your choices, actions, lack of actions, words, put yourself in the very situation that you are complaining about.
4. Consequences. Be willing to accept the praise and consequences for your decisions.
5. Change. Upon learning, change. Improve. Do and be better, no bitter.
A child once said “I don’t like school”. When the parents asked why the child had a list of reasons like “My teacher is mean. She gives homework. She made me move chairs. She sent me to the office. David is her class favorite”. The child failed to acknowledge that his actions were the reason for the consequences. Instead he focused on the result of his actions instead of his actions. With that outward view he will never experience inward growth.